I want to report child abuse but I don't know their address: What do I do?

by Name Undisclosed
(Location Undisclosed)

I have a family member who is abusing her 3 children. She gets a large amount of food stamps each month, only to cash them to people for cash and buy her and her boyfriend drugs with it. They do drugs with all kinds of druggies in her home, with her kids right next to her. Her kids are always starving, and I even have a feeling her little girl has been sexually abused. I don't know where they live, she won't tell me. What can I do?

Note from Darlene: My answer to this Ask Darlene question "I want to report child abuse but I don't know their address: What do I do?" can be found at Comments below this submission. Depending on system activity, there are sometimes delays in comments going live on my site; but rest assured, they do eventually appear. So if you don't yet see them, I hope you will return later to read what I, and possibly others, have written. I thank you for your patience and understanding.

Email addresses, phone numbers, home addresses AND website/blog URLs in visitor comments are STRICTLY prohibited, and could result in being banned from making further comments on this site.

Comments for I want to report child abuse but I don't know their address: What do I do?

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 09, 2008
A couple of suggestions...
by: Darlene Barriere - Webmaster

I'm so very sorry to learn that these children are being neglected and exposed to such a criminal element. I applaud you for being so concerned about their well-being. We all need to stand up and try to protect children we know or suspect are being neglected and abused.

Since I don't know what state you live in, I cannot say whether there is a statewide number you can call or if you must report suspected child abuse on a county by county basis; for example: the State of California requires reporting be done in the county in which the abuse is taking place, but the State of Washington provides a nationwide number for reporting.

I suggest you contact Child Help at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453). They are staffed 24/7 with professionally trained counsellors who might be able to help you with your dilemma. Visit their website by copying & pasting the following URL into your browser: http://www.childhelp.org/

I would also contact your local police detachment and tell them of the situation. I offer no promises, but perhaps they can find out which county your family member lives in through outstanding tickets, etc.; furthermore, since they're involved in the drug culture, perhaps they are already known to police and their whereabouts can be ascertained. And if you haven't already, try contacting every member of your family to find out if someone is able to help you find the information. If you have any idea what school the children are in or if anyone in your family does, contact that county and tell them what you know/suspect and give them the names of the children. In short, try everything at your disposal.

Bless you for caring and trying to get help for these 3 children.

Darlene Barriere
Violence & Abuse Prevention Educator
Author: On My Own Terms, A Memoir

Oct 18, 2009

My wife left not to long ago taking our 3 children got a P.O. aganst me. I have not seen our kids last june 23,09.She's heavy into meth. I had told her 3 days before she did this I we both had to stop.I try to tell them in court just how bad our kids where living it. But no one would listen to me that we both needed to clean up our act for them. I also told them that if she lift me I'd never see our kids again and now no one can find them.I'm worried about if they have food,clothes,aplace to sleep,they warm,in school.I tried dcf,her lawyer,nowwithdrue,kids lawyer nobody knows IKNOW HOW BAD WE BOTH WHERE WHAT CAN I DO TRUELY WORRIED??? LOSTSOUL.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask Darlene

Disclaimer: To the best of my knowledge the child abuse
stories on this site are true. While I cannot guarantee
this, I do try to balance the need for the submitter to be
heard and validated with the needs of my visitors.

Most Recent

  1. Feel Extreme Guilt

    Apr 25, 17 08:19 AM

    I had been repressing the guilt of playing sexual games and forcing my cousin brother to tongue kissing with me. I am 24 now but keep remembering the same

    Read More

  2. Not To Blame

    Apr 18, 17 11:04 AM

    I was in my 10th standard and like every girl, I was very conscious of the weight problem. I used to go to my Music tuitions in the evening, and once I

    Read More

  3. Bad Dreams Surfacing

    Apr 13, 17 10:32 AM

    I am having a dream about my abusive stepfather where he wants my brother and me to change his soiled diaper. He started abusing me at the age of three

    Read More

Take the quiz

Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.
E-book: Victim To Victory

From Victim to Victory
a memoir

How I got over the devastating effects of child abuse and moved on with my life