Sick people with children; what should I do?

by Anonymous
(Oklahoma, USA)

My sister is staying with a man who sexually abused their son at 6 years old. The child told my brother who told me. Then I brought it out to her. He blamed it on beer and back medicine. This happened about 20 years ago. They have a younger daughter now 23, a grandson who is now 10, and a new 1-month-old grandson. This guy surfs animated cartoon porn on the Internet. My sister ignores finding out if he has abused the daughter or the 10-year-old. Now there is a new boy in the family.

My mom was talking at the table one day with me, my sister and the 10-year-old. My mom said something about goosing someone. The 10-year-old said, "What's that?" So Mom goosed him to show him. The little boy giggled and said, "Gramps does that." My sister ignored this statement, and still nothing is being done. I worry about these kids all the time. What should I do?

Thank You!!!

Note from Darlene: My answer to this Ask Darlene question "Sick people with children; what should I do?" can be found below.

Email addresses, phone numbers, home addresses AND website/blog URLs in visitor comments are STRICTLY prohibited, and could result in being banned from making further comments on this site.

Comments for Sick people with children; what should I do?

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 09, 2008
Report, report, REPORT...
by: Darlene Barriere - Webmaster

Your sister needs a wake up call! Beer and back medicine does not make someone a sex offender; that's absurd. Anyone who believes that rubbish needs serious help. Sex offenders do not change their offending habits. The grandchildren ARE at risk of molestation from this man. You have every right to be concerned.

Report what you suspect and why you suspect it. The 24-hour number to contact in the state of Oklahoma is 800-522-3511. They'll take it from there. An investigation will be conducted. It will be up to Child Protection Services to make a determination about whether or not abuse is substantiated. And just for the record, unsubstantiated does not mean unfounded; unsubstantiated means there isn't enough evidence for additional action to be taken. I point this out because often times, family members believe nothing is being done, when in fact, nothing more can be done. This leave concerned family members feeling helpless and frustrated.

On a personal rather than professional note, I wouldn't let up on my sister. She really does have problems that need to be addressed if she's hooking up with and defending a child molester.

Darlene Barriere
Violence & Abuse Prevention Educator
Author: On My Own Terms, A Memoir

Feb 10, 2008
Please report this
by: Anonymous

Please report this to the police or someone you can trust immediately

It is so hard for you YOURSELF to be able to tell what's going on and if someone gets hurt, you will feel guilt for not doing anything about it when you know you could have.

This story is sick and everyone sounds messed up. But they just don't know what to do. If you report this, you might be hated by them, but you need to do SOMETHING to stop it. You KNOW you can stop it. Please do something about it. It is not right.

Sometimes people you tell might not care but you have to keep finding ANYWAY to stop this sick nonsense.

You KNOW this isn't right! Ask yourself REALLY what you want to happen about this. You know what you want and what you want to stop.

Feb 27, 2008
im sorry that happend
by: conserned citison

hi i am so sry that that happend to them i am scared evrey day that something bad like that might happpen 2 me im so sorry

Jun 14, 2008
Same here
by: Francine

I'm so sorry that your sister has been married with such a pervert all of her kids were forced to call "dad"; my mom is a sick person, too. I really feel for you and your sister's kids.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Q & A Archives: What To Do When...

E-book: Victim To Victory

From Victim to Victory
a memoir

How I got over the devastating effects of child abuse and moved on with my life


Do you want to be notified of future healing workshops by Darlene Barriere?